[pianotech] [Pianotek] the big discussion

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Mon Jan 31 13:44:36 MST 2011

I think I would put stability a shade above "musical quality" however that's
defined.  If it doesn't stay put it doesn't much matter what you deliver.
But that's really a separate issue.

The real issue to me boils down to this.  I don't think that it's a
comparison between the tuning of a *highly skilled* aural tuner and an end
user (let's put all the other etd benefits aside for the moment).  And It's
not necessarily about the highly skilled aural tuner who has decided to
employ the use of an etd for various reasons. The issue, as I've mentioned,
is for the person who is deciding how to approach this task with respect to
their customers.  So, if you define "highly skilled", by the Virgil Smith
standard (and of course there are others who meet this standard as well),
most aural tuners, especially newer ones, are not highly skilled.  Many, in
fact-even RPTs, may never be.  That isn't to say they didn't pass the RPT
test but the skill level varies, if we're being honest.  I would guess the
average pass rate of the RPT exam is about 85% (don't know for sure) and
there are many associate members who wouldn't yet pass or haven't passed at
80%.  Some of these are plying their trade as aural tuners, or being
encouraged to because of what is (erroneously) believed to be a lack of
"musical quality" of an etd tuning.  But for arguments sake let's say that
aural tuners perform on average around 85% in terms of accuracy as measured
by the RPT test.   And let's further assume that this has to do with
temperament/octave setting and that both etd and aural tuners in this
comparison tune stable and solid unisons.  Using an etd that same aural
tuner can hit the target spot on as dictated by the etd, if they were using
one.  So I'm a customer and my "tuner" comes to me and says, "I can tune
your piano aurally and I'm an RPT but I usually hit the RPT standard at
about 85% pass rate.  If I tune it with this etd I can hit the standard at
very near 100% though the tuning will be a computer generated tuning based
on its reading of your piano and not a custom tuning curve as I see fit.
Now I prefer to tune aurally because it gives me more personal satisfaction
and a sense of accomplishment but you're the customer.  What would you like
me to do?"   Well, I can tell you what I would say as the customer.

So the question is, what obligation do we have to our customers to deliver
the highest quality tuning we are capable of?  We are, after all, charging
them good money to do a professional job.  Is our first obligation to
ourselves to work in the way that gives us the most personal satisfaction?
Or is it to work in the way that delivers consistently from the first tuning
of the day to the last one the highest quality product day in and day out,
from the most god awful spinet to the highest quality grand.  If the primary
obligation is to ourselves then I say have at it however you want.  However,
if our first obligation is to our customers then I think it best to
realistically and honestly assess what it is you can and do deliver and make
the appropriate choice with your customers in mind.  If that means an etd
and you wish to continue to hone your aural skills to raise them to a level
that is on par I would be the first to encourage that.  But insisting on
tuning aurally when you know you can deliver on average a superior product
in a different way is arguably selfish and irresponsible.

BTW temperament tuning was not the basis of my platform.  However if you
value an accurate and equal temperament, you won't aurally beat a machine's
ability to divide an octave into 12 equal parts, in fact, rarely will you
equal it.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com