[pianotech] ETD dust storm

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Mon Jan 31 15:23:48 MST 2011

Yes I do know that and it illustrates my point.  Many (not all) have
suggested that the use of an etd is a substitute for hearing.  That spurious
argument is that the use of technology necessarily endangers our pre
technological abilities.  Especially in this case since virtually everyone
who uses etds tunes 2/3's of the piano aurally (the unisons).  People seem
to forget that.   Your cautionary tale is fine but to some degree it
presupposes the loss of skills from a former age.  That's not necessarily
the case was my point and the comingling of the ideas, etd use and loss of
the ability to hear, is by many being treated as a foregone conclusion.
I'm sure people are tiring of this discussion but what I am tired of is the
repeated tendency of some (not all) to keep suggesting that etd tuning is
non-musical and necessarily implies a loss of a certain skill set or the
inability to develop one.  I've heard plenty of aural tunings that were
worse than non musical, simply out of tune.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com

Not one person has ever thought these charts were intended as a substitute
for hearing. On the contrary, they have encouraged many to experiment with
the historical temperaments to expand the range of their listening. But you
know this.

--
jason's cell 425 830 1561