[pianotech] [Pianotek] the big discussion

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Mon Jan 31 19:42:12 MST 2011

So - yes - I do have and use some aural tuning skills - specifically
nough to do the unisons.
Duaine

The first step in learning to tune by ear is by tuning unisons. Once you understand what you have to listen to, (eliminating the beats), you work on octaves. It's really not that difficult, Duaine, if you just take the time to learn.

BTW, not to open up a past subject, but I asked you who had listened to your Cybertuning tuning, to make sure it's good. You mentioned your mentor. That's fine. But is he with you on every tuning? Just because he listened to you once, doesn't mean each and every tuning is right on.

You also mentioned that you don't want to, or need to, go to conventions or seminars because there is nothing there for you to learn. (That they concentrate too much on grand tuning and repair, and not enough on uprights and/or player repair). I've attended about 60 seminars and/or conventions in the 34 years I've been in the PTG. Not once have I gone to one where I didn't learn something. Now maybe it's because my service area is a little more expanded than yours, but even if you want to limit yourself to upright and/or payer repair, there are always enough classes on that subject, plus business classes, tuning classes, health related classes,  etc. to make it worth your while to attend a seminar.  And what's wrong with learning a little more about grand pianos? After all, you tuned a Steinway B. Perhaps if you had taken a course on voicing, and/or advanced grand regulating, you could have offered that customer additional services.

Wim