[pianotech] ETD dust storm

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Mon Jan 31 19:49:59 MST 2011

Similarly, if one has never learned to estimate, one will be totally dependent on the calculator's answer ... and never know for sure if it's even close to displaying the correct answer to the problem.

Knowing approximately what the right answer is is critical in using a calculator. (or ETD)

One of the responsibilities of a secretary I once had was to add up all the checks at the end of the week, to make a deposit. At that time I was charging about $35 per tuning, and most of the checks for about that amount. I had about 15 checks, but when I went to make a deposit, the total amount she had put down was about $1500. She didn't know that multiplying $35 times 15 is NOT $1500. Obviously she had entered one or two checks as $350, instead of $35.

This is why it's important to know what a piano is supposed to sound like, to make sure all the right buttons were pushed.

Wim