[pianotech] 6 strings versus 200 + strings

johnparham at piano88.com johnparham at piano88.com
Mon Jan 31 21:48:59 MST 2011

If the guitar had a high action, you have to tune it so the chords you
are going to play sound the best.  You tuned it and played certain
chords.  The owner may have been used to playing in a certain key that
required a different tuning.

A guitar with a lower action, straight frets, a straight neck, and frets
that are not worn will tune up true.

I've been a guitar player for 38 years, and these variables not only
drive me batty, they have made me appreciate my 1960 Gibson J50 even
more so.

Still... Martins are a joy to play.

Thanks, Ed, for your tuning comments!

-John Parham