[pianotech] [OT] Stuff Which Should Really Be on PTG-L

David Andersen david at davidandersenpianos.com
Sat Jul 2 11:05:16 MDT 2011

Mr. Probst, Mr. Truitt, et. al---
This is indeed a challenge, on many levels. The most basic unresolved issue? Lack of communication, and the resulting mistrust, that arose when this incredible tool, and entertainment, and resource, and community called the Pianotech List was changed and made less accessible with virtually NO input or back and forth dialogue between Council and the daily users of the List. That decision, with all due respect---and I mean that sincerely---
in retrospect, was a huge mistake---whatever the reasons, and the mechanics and personalities involved.

I have learned a crucial lesson rather late in life: when I fail, when I make an error that effects things and people and events,
the most difficult course of action---taking responsibility for the error, spelling it out, sincerely apologizing, committing to rectification, listening with attention to those affected, and learning from my mistake, applying the lesson to future decisions---is the best possible course.

This is not about details, or systems, or technology. This is about communication, respect, and thoughtfulness. The long-time stakeholders in this list, generators of thousands of posts over the years, are obviously and forcefully telling PTG leadership that there was a breach. As Will says, people have voted with their feet, and the list traffic has collapsed. This is a practical, measurable result of the decision made by leadership: failure.
Anger. Dissatisfaction.

That's OK. Really. Conflict and mistakes are part of every human being's life on a daily basis. The trick, the challenge, is the nature of resolution.
And resolution begins with humility. I completely understand being initially defensive when a decision or action is questioned and criticized, when people express the pain and dissatisfaction they're feeling. The NEXT step---becoming humble and quiet, and actually listening to the other, "walking a mile in their shoes," empathizing, seeing it from their side---is the difficult one.

Great leaders are humble servants AND strong, decisive decision-makers. As loyal, all-in members of PTG, we are looking for great leadership; nothing more, nothing less. We want this List to live and thrive. With 100% certitude there is a way to accomplish that, to resolve the technical and logistical issues and put a system in place that's optimal for the daily users---poster and readers both. As individuals and as an organization, there
are massive resources in terms of ideas, time, and intention that we can bring to bear to allow the List to live and thrive again.

Great leaders create trust and respect by their actions; please, PTG leadership: show us greatness. We don't want to fight. We honor and respect deeply your service and your volunteer sacrifices; all the wonderful folks I know on the List have their own busy, full, rich lives. We all have good hearts, and a passion for music and pianos; that's why we're all so deeply engaged.

I challenge you to see the list as it has been, in easy, quick email format, as the best way for it to continue. This is what we, the List stakeholders, are saying to you in very real, clear terms.  Please, just take it in. We are sincere, and we won't give up on this, because I, for one, LOVE this list.
It has given me lifelong friendships, incredible education, tremendous humility, and many thousands of dollars in income as a result of things I've learned and connections I've made. It's been a consistent fountain of goodness in my personal and professional life for a decade. It means a LOT to me. It has inspired me to give back by teaching and mentoring all over the country, and now the world. It has allowed me to really feel like part of a community of artisans rather than a lone-wolf practitioner. It has brought uncounted benefits to my life.

Perhaps that's the difference between us; I'm completely passionate about this list, and the leadership, evidently, is not.
Which makes no sense to me, because it may be the greatest resource PTG has, and a tremendous branding and marketing tool for our organization. As Dale Erwin said the other day, the List is like the best graduate school for piano techs---and it's "free."

I implore you, PTG leadership, to listen to us with your heart. We love this List, and will fight for it. It's great for us and great for the thousands of
men and women who've regularly read the List without participating. Let it live.

With sincere respect and ever-renewed hope,

David Andersen
Los Angeles
www.davidandersenpianos.com