[pianotech] Dales hitch pin clearance

Encore Pianos encorepianos at metrocast.net
Sat Jul 2 13:35:30 MDT 2011

You're a hard, hard man, Ron.....   :-)

Will

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces at ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Ron Nossaman
Sent: Saturday, July 02, 2011 3:08 PM
To: pianotech at ptg.org
Subject: Re: [pianotech] Dales hitch pin clearance

On 7/2/2011 1:19 PM, Dale Probst wrote:
> Hi Dale,
> Sorry, here's the deal: hitch pin next to treble strut broke flush
> with plate on second chip session. Drove the remnant through plate but
> there is insufficient clearance between the bottom of the plate and
> the top of the soundboard for the the remnant of the hitch pin to
> clear. I'd like to get that remnant out with out pulling the plate if
> possible- piano is strung and chipped. And ideas?

Sure. drill down into the recessed hitch, centered and angled as near
perfectly as you can manage with a small center drill. Drill progressively
larger holes down through the center of the pin to just below the surface of
the plate. Eventually, you'll get the wall thin enough to break the pin off
from underneath with something (or from the top with a smaller punch used as
a pry bar), and chase the remainder out with either a punch or another
drill. Deep knurl the replacement pin with side cutters or hammering it
slightly oval, and drive it into the hole with maybe a little JB Weld for
the evil spirits. Or plug the old hole, drill a new, and touch up the
finish.

Next time, dress up the surface of the old pin and just drill a new hole in
the first place, then touch up the finish.

  I can't help but wonder why you posted this here on the abandoned list
instead of the new improved "brought to you by dedicated volunteers so shut
up and embrace it" Higher Offense site. Is this the proper venue, or is it
perhaps because there are still people here who might hand you an easy
answer, presuming they're still willing? If you want things to be better, I
suggest you make a commitment. Get out there in the shop and spend your time
to figure it out, then you can volunteer the information to us. That's what
I usually do. I detect a lack of conviction and consistency here.
Ron N