[pianotech] The New System according to Wim

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon Jul 4 10:51:44 MDT 2011

On 7/4/2011 8:40 AM, tnrwim at aol.com wrote:

> Joe
> I hope you mean that you won't participate on the lists anymore, and not
> the PTG. If it's the former, I hate to see you go, but you're the one
> who'll be missing out on all the good things the lists do for us.

All the new lists have done for me is essentially eliminate piano
related discussion and replace it with hundreds of legitimate, often
detailed, gripes about how incompetently it was implemented, the utter
lack of consideration from those who stuck us with it without
consultation or apparent care, and some yay-rah after the fact from a
very few folks who haven't typically contributed much in the way of
technical offering through the years anyway.

> it's the latter, basically the same thing. PTG is here to help us be
> better technicians.

By killing the best educational resource they ever offered?

> As I said, give it a chance.

It's had a chance. How long does it take? No owners manual, no help
files, no FAQ, no vendor support, with as lousy a user interface layout
as I think I've ever seen, with anything we've learned about how to work
around at least some of this thing's more overt psychoses supplied by
the hundreds of VOLUNTEER (get it? the magic word) hours put in by the
attempted users of this thing. That's us. The vendors are still a
collective Claude Rains. We're the people that paid for this junk. No
reason we're due even the consideration of someone who finds mold inside
a cantaloupe and is given the common courtesy of both a hearing and/or
an exchange or refund from the vendor. Nope. That's an unreasonable
thing for us to expect, apparently.

> Remember,
> you're never too old to learn new things.

I know it's a stretch, but there are actually some of us out here that
would prefer to spend time trying to learn interesting and potentially
useful things, rather than hunting workarounds in a piece of software
that isn't even out of the alpha stage. If I didn't value what used to
be a working pianotech list so much, and still hold some vague hope that
this current list administration trash will (real soon now?) be replaced
by something functionally similar, and as simply and easily used, I'd
have been gone long ago.

Ron N