[pianotech] [OT] Stuff Which Should Really Be on PTG-L

Mark Purney mark.purney at mesapiano.com
Tue Jul 5 09:44:01 MDT 2011

Ryan,

You're comparing apples to oranges. A piano technician typically has a
very simple website, which exists only to provide some basic information
and look pretty. It serves the simple needs of one person who makes all
the decisions without committees, boards, or councils. Clients are
usually kept track of with a simple spreadsheet or database program, and
the website and database have no need for online integration.

The PTG requires tons more technology to support the needs of the Home
Office and all the other groups that must work together within the
organization, and the membership tracking has to be extremely
sophisticated and flexible. Everything must work together on a server,
and there is a huge amount of data that must go back and forth to make
it all happen. To a non-programmer, it may all look like simple stuff.
But the reality is that even the most basic-looking functions on a
website like ptg.org took some programmer many hours to implement. And
when all of these simple-looking things must work together reliably, the
server-side programming to support it all becomes incredibly complex.
It's more than we can expect inexpensive, consumer-grade tools to handle.

The growing needs of our organization make it necessary to use much more
expensive, sophisticated, yet generic tools that don't necessarily do
everything the way we'd like.

The PTG needs to trac