[pianotech] Pianos On Parade in St. Paul, Minnesota

David Nereson da88ve at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 01:40:34 MDT 2011

We have a similar thing here in Denver, where some organization has placed
pianos for the public to play on the 16th Street Mall downtown, which is
closed to vehicular traffic except free shuttle buses.  People shop and
stroll or sit and play chess, congas, or guitars, and now, pianos.  Trouble
is, every last one of them is a junker, or 'beater."  Of course,
non-pianists don't really care.  But I checked them all and every one of
them has about 1/2 inch of lost motion and they all need new hammers.  But
the soundboards are so shot, it wouldn't be worth it.  And they're all
painted "artsy"  -- mod art or pop art or whatever.  So, few good pianists
will sit down and play because they're not really instruments anymore.  They
do throw covers over them after about 10 or 11 pm, and (I assume) when it
rains.

--David Nereson, RPT