[pianotech] Broadwood Barless Grand

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Fri Jul 8 02:26:01 MDT 2011

Hi Laura,

Intereting about the restored Barless Grand, and nice that it's
gorgeous!  I agree with you about the "swoop" of the plate being
visually attractive, and it must be all the more so having been
re-gilded.  The number you cite would indeed seem to put it at about
1890, according to The Musicians Piano Atlas.  Broadwood numbers are
complex!

As to A440, the one I have just tuned was actually at A440 so I guess
it's been maintained over the years by the former owner of the house
it's in. (The new owners are buying it along with the house).

Best regards,

David.