[pianotech] Chickering Grand Stringing Chart

REPRPT at aol.com REPRPT at aol.com
Mon Jul 11 11:30:38 MDT 2011

I'm in the process of working with a refinisher on a Chickering Grand piano
 he has in his shop.  I don't know the size of the grand, somewhere around
six foot. The sound of the piano was nice and full when I played it,
although it  was out of tune. This piano has obviously been rebuilt some time in
the past.  The serial number was written in pencil down on the key bed under
the key frame.  #113194.

When I took the strings off I carefully measured them and wrote down the
size by thousandths of an inch  and those strings have since been thrown
out.

The bass of the piano has 9 singles, 10 doubles, and 6 triples which I sent
 in and had duplicated.

But when I went to chart the treble strings I noticed a definite gap in
sizes jumping from 18 1/2 to 16 1/2 having three half sizes missing. I decided
 to check my sizes against the stringing charts in John Travis' Guide to
Restringing. I found only three pianos with 61 unisons and one of those
actually  had a misprint having 63 unisons. Leaving me wondering what to do. Here
is  a chart of the comparisons.

As you can see the smaller strings are thicker than the other scalings and
there were actually 13 unisons of size 19. I would think this would put
quite a  bit of extra strain on the plate tuning it to A-440. Is this a
possible  re-scaling done with this piano? What would be any suggestions you might
have as  to what stringing scale I might use? This picture doesn't come out
very well, so  I have also attached the chart as a PDF for easier viewing.
Does anyone have a  better scale than what was found in John Travis' book?

Any help would be appreciated.

Ron Pruitt rpt
Sarasota FL