[pianotech] Re; new sting broke twice

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 12 19:00:33 MDT 2011

Patrick said: "Noah: I had the same thing happen to me with a Schaff string
which I ordered through Pianotek. I also could feel the tension increasing
too quickly, and the string snapped at the tuning pin. I asked for a
replacement, and could feel the same overly rapid increase in tension. I
didn't bring it up to pitch completely because I could see that the winding
was ending way too short from where it would be, as judged by comparison to
the existing left unison. I am having a string made by Mapes from
measurements, and hope their's does the job. I have never had this kind of
problem before with any bass string. Anyone have any ideas? Bad core wire,
perhaps?'

Patrick et al,
I've seen several recent string scale problems discussed by y'all. Seeing's
how y'all are 'puter savy, WHY can't y'all get it through your heads, that
the manufacturer makes mistakes on stings! Therefore....y'all need to get a
progam so's you can analyze the darned strings before going off half
cocked. It is a steadfast rule, in my shop: ALL strings scales WILL be
analyzed and recalculated as I see fit, for what I want as an end result! I
hate to say it, but I get the feeling that there's a bit of "laziness" on
the part of most technicians in this regard. It does not take a major
amount of mathematical knowledge, (albeit, it is an advantage), to
thoughtfully go through the process of evaluating EVERY scale that you are
dealing with. Why is that so hard for y'all to grasp? As for the use of "A
Guide To Restringing"...it perpetuates the "laziness" and is just NOT a
good source of information...BECAUSE it is predicated on the theory that
all pianos of a same manufacturer/model are the same. I'm hear to tell you
that just is not true. Take that to the bank.
Now, please, let's approach these problems with the intelligence that I
know Y'all have.
End of Rant,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.