[pianotech] sluggish jacks

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Wed Jul 13 19:19:16 MDT 2011

 a Baldwin baby grand with sluggish action.  The

piano was rebuilt about 10 years ago, with Renner parts.  A Dampp Chaser
system was installed at the time of the rebuild.

About 6 months ago the owner noticed about one octave of sluggish notes.  He
called another technician who came out and lubricated the jack flanges.  It
didn't help and more notes started getting sluggish.  He called the other
tech back, who lubricated again.  The owner said after the second round of
lubricating the problem was even worse.  I don't know what the other tech
used to lubricate, but I'm assuming it was Protec.
    I gave the owner a quote for re-pinning the jack flanges.  But two questions
linger.  If I re-pin, will the problem re-occur; and why did this happen in
the first place.

Greetings,
    Renner pinning does this.  I have had too many actions that needed to be repinned after several years to be comfortable
putting these actions on a concert stage.   You can repin the jacks, but don't be surprised if you find other flanges tightening
up, also.  I hope the estimate was given after checking all the hammerflanges and underlevers.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT
http://www.piano-tuners.org/edfoote/index.html