[pianotech] Measuring Crown Radius

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Thu Jul 14 09:15:06 MDT 2011

Really, cut with the ad hominem and self aggrandizing attacks.  You haven't
adequately answered the question, at least not to me and I am open to it.  I
have no personal agenda.  First, by your explanation then heavier rib sets
in compression crowned boards would tend to increase panel damage under load
(after they are glued into the rim we're talking about) by virtue of the
fact that they are pulling down harder than lighter rib scales.  Further,
proportional deflection might be increased with heavier rib scales by virtue
of the fact that they are pulling down harder.  Is that what happens?  I
can't answer that question but it certainly seems counterintuitive.  Second,
at what point in the continuum of combinations of various amounts of
compression and rib crowning does one system transform into a completely
different system.

Don't waste your time any further answering, I know you've given it your
best shot and I know your time is precious.  But neither am I incapable of
understanding reasonable explanations adequately expressed.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com