[pianotech] Measuring Crown Radius

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Fri Jul 15 12:57:21 MDT 2011

At 07:27 -0700 15/07/2011, David Love wrote:

>The discussion was whether a rib bent and clamped to the rim while
>bent supports load before it goes negative.

There are two things I don't understand here.  First, what has
"supporting load" got to do with the function of a soundboard? and
second, why would anybody put a piano together in such a way that it
was possible for the soundboard to "go negative"?

Probably the ideal situation is a soundboard which gives the proper
pressure (admittance) at the bridge when it is almost flat.  What
degree of crown that soundboard will have when the strings are off
will depend on its compressibility, and that is not an easily
measurable quantity.  I can't see any virtue in having any
considerable degree of crown on the board when the tension is on.

JD