[pianotech] agraffe replacement

Delwin D Fandrich del at fandrichpiano.com
Mon Jul 18 17:11:12 MDT 2011

Well, yes, you'd think so. But...back when I worked at Baldwin I visited the
manufacturer making agrafes for just about all of the U.S. piano makers. I
picked up a handful of random agrafes from a bin of finished parts and
looked at the alignment of the holes. They were visibly out of alignment on
nearly all of the two dozen or so I picked up. I didn't have to measure
them, it was clear the vertical alignment of the strings going through these
agrafes was going to be off by +/- 0.25 mm or so. Within a given agrafe; I
don't know what it would have been like from one agrafe to the next but I
couldn't imagine how it would be any better than this.

I brought this to the attention of the marketing manager-type person who was
giving me the tour. He did some checking and assured me they were "good
enough." Good enough for what, I wanted to know, as they clearly didn't
match the tolerances listed on the design spec sheet I was holding in my
hand. Essentially, I was told, they were good enough as long as their
customers--the pianomakers, including the one I was working for--kept buying
them. Yes, they could be made to closer tolerances but that would slow the
line down slightly and would raise the price by a penny or so per agrafe. No
one wanted to pay the extra money so they were good enough.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Design & Fabrication
6939 Foothill Court SW, Olympia, Washington 98512 USA
Phone  360.515.0119 — Cell  360.388.6525
del at fandrichpiano.comddfandrich at gmail.com