[pianotech] Mathushek square

Andrew Anderson anrebe at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 12:58:55 MDT 2011

I've had the not-so-great pleasure of reviewing the needs of a
Mathushek square grand.  A -slim- majority of the keys worked.  On
figuring out to lift the key slip and pull (carefully) the action I
determined that many of the jacks need to be "re-sprung".  I tested
tuning pins at random and encountered string clicking and rather tight
pins, so: barring breaking strings it should be tunable.  The hammer
for the top note is missing, no sign of it anywhere in or around the
piano.

Does anyone have experience working on these actions who can give me
an idea of how long it would take to redo about 30% of the jacks?
What is needed to fix the spring on these?  I'm guessing there is no
parts supply house for things like a hammer, shank and flange...?

The piano itself is a pretty piece of work although I don't hold out
any great hopes for the sound.

Andrew Anderson
owner, Artisan Piano
Laredo TX