[pianotech] Damper tail leathers - cleaning and lubricating?

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Wed Jul 20 02:32:07 MDT 2011

I am doing some work on the old Bechstein upright of some friends. There
was a lot of combined "creak" on operating the sustaining pedal.  I took
out the damper lift rod from the action and it was very gunge-y. I
cleaned it with metal polish and applied the thinnest polish, or smear,
of Protek grease. However, there is still some combined "creak" from the
damper tails. The are covered in leather (buckskin), not cloth.  What
are your preferred methods for cleaning and lubricating damper tail
leathers like this?

Best regards,

David.