[pianotech] Damper tail leathers - cleaning and lubricating?

Tony Caught acaught at internode.on.net
Wed Jul 20 03:24:06 MDT 2011

WD 40 always.

Just Kidding

This is about the worst thingey to do.

The leathers are dry and I guess that some leather restorer spray may do the
job in the short term, but replacing the tails with a good felt or leather
is the right answer. That is of course if the damper lift rod in the action
(the piece that lifts the dampers) is in good condition.  Maybe you should
remove same and make sure that the surface is not rough or otherwise imparts
friction onto the leathers causing the leathers to squeek. Woops you did
this so I guess that the leathers are grunged to.  Not to mention the screws
holding the parts together. If loose they may also cause a creek. Then
again, this could also be caused by, hey I'm on my 5th rum for the night so
I have now got to dispute with myself wether to send this or not.

Tony

Tony Caught

acaught at internode.on.net

0427 850 737