[pianotech] Horse and buggy users.

Encore Pianos encorepianos at metrocast.net
Wed Jul 20 07:11:40 MDT 2011

Dear Isreal:

Hmmmm
.     “:fellow luddites”, “horse and buggy drivers complaining how
difficult it is to start a car”, “horseshit”, “can the attitude”, “small but
loud group who refuse to develop basic web skills” “files YOU PEOPLE were
shoving onto my computer (caps added by me, wow, a conspiracy, what fun!)
“massaging each other’s egos”

And now for the real kicker, “the relatively minor glitches that any
paradigm shift entails”.   PARADIGM SHIFT?????!!!!!!!!,  Isn’t that a bit
like a 2 ½  foot tall guy dunking the ball into a basket 2 feet off the
ground and claiming “player of the year?”

Jon Page doesn’t need me to defend him and I won’t speak for him.  I will
say that I have met Jon and spent a little time with him, and have followed
his posts on the forum over the past years.  Somehow, luddite  never enters
my mind when I think of Jon.  And please note that the group of people you
describe as luddites and horse and buggy drivers includes the following
people, if we are including those who have expressed their lack of
enthusiasm for the new forum:   Del Fandrich, Ron Nossaman, Dale Erwin,
David Andersen,  and David Love; amongst many ohers.

I admire both Del and Ron for their approach to problem solving and design,
because they so well apply these variations on “Occam’s Razor”,
“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication” and “Entities must not be
multiplied beyond necessity”.  It is always  a sign of an elegant and
penetrating mind to seek the simplest and most  direct solution.that
fulfills all necessary criteria.

I think this saying from Saint Thomas Aquinas is most topical when thinking
of software, particularly the HL PIanotech web software:  "If a thing can be
done adequately by means of one, it is superfluous to do it by means of
several; for we observe that nature does not employ two instruments [if] one
suffice”.  That’s a pretty good measure for any software interface design.
By that measure, to claim that the new HL forum software represents a
paradigm shift is laughable.

Will Truitt

Jon,

Number one, please can the attitude. It was obvious at the Council; and at
the convention in KC that this is a huge step forward for the PTG on quite a
few levels that is well received by many members - and you and your fellow
luddites are starting to sound like a bunch of horse-and-buggy drivers
complaining how difficult it is to start and maintain a car. Personally, I
got tired of putting up with the horseshit on the old list... If the PTG
just caters to you and those "rank-and-file" members (from the convention it
appears that this is a relatively small - but loud - group) who refuse to
develop basic web skills using which this new format becomes far superior to
those old lists - we really limit our capabilities as an organization and as
a source of knowledge and information.

As far as I am concerned, I am off that old monstrosity of the Pianotech
list and I'm never looking back - along with all the others who got tired of
having to weed through dozens of posts (including countless duplications) to
find the one kernel of useful information that has not been repeated ad
nauseum in the years of the list's existence (and hoping that the files that
you people were shoving onto my computer - whether I want them or not -
don't have a worm hitch hiking on them). I sincerely hope that the PTG moves
it over onto Google or Yahoo or something, and you guys can keep massaging
each other's egos as to how "important" all your "communications" are. I am
(and many others are) quite happy with this web-based system, where I get a
synopsis of all the posts in all the lists I am interested in, and can go
look at whatever draws my attention without having to plod through a bunch
of other stuff. And I'll put up with the relatively minor glitches that any
paradigm shift entails.

Now, the ExamPrep list has always been a separate list, requiring a separate
subscription (which was, by the way a lot more complicated than pushing a
radio button, which is all that is required here) and very close supervision
- to make sure that no misinformation gets on it (which is what you get a
lot of on Pianotech). So if you think you are ever going to get detailed and
accurate exam information from people who actually know something about it
on a general Pianotech list - well, it never happened and never will happen,
not on a list that is accessible to non-members. The PTG has always had
specialized lists, and this was one of them. And will be a specialized
discussion as soon as we can get the bugs straightened out. And, watching
the old list function, I know that an awful lot of people were using the
archives - instead of posting questions to the list. Our new Associates are
increasingly tech-savvy and know how to use web tools in the most efficient
manner possible. So we develop tools that look to the future...

Israel Stein RPT
A-Major Piano Services
Albany, CA 94706
510-558-0777