[pianotech] Damper tail leathers - cleaning and lubricating?

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Wed Jul 20 07:35:20 MDT 2011

Thanks for those observations Tony. Do you recommend Rum for cleaning
the leather then??

I agree of course that the ultimate solution would be nice new leather
(or cloth). As a first-line approach, though, I would like to try and
clean up what's there to see if I can get it to work silently. What kind
of "Restorer spray" do you think would be good, and with what should I
clean the leathers before applying it?

Even if Rum doesn't clean the leathers, after 5 Rums, one might feel
more mellow about the "creaking".  Mind you, the piano is play by my
friends' son who in only 17, so I can't feel that it's a sound
recommendation for him.....

Best regards,

David.

P.S. The damper tails are of that nice kind that incorporate a grub
screw under the leather for fine adjustment in addition to bending the
spoons.