[pianotech] Horse and buggy users.

Encore Pianos encorepianos at metrocast.net
Wed Jul 20 11:15:50 MDT 2011

Hi William:

I appreciate the civility of your reply even as I may have differing views
on some things.  I will try to respond in the same spirit.

First, I am pleased that the Member Max portion of the new software is
working very well for the home office.  Why wouldn’t I be?   That’s
wonderful.  I won’t tell them not to use it.  End of discussion there.

But, as we all know, Member Max and Higher Logic are two separate animals
that don’t necessarily have to exist together.  Each serves different
functions, and the fact that one works well doesn’t mean that the other
works well too.  Because it doesn’t.  I’m not going to flog you with all the
reasons why, safe to say we have beaten that into the ground already and
there is no need to repeat ourselves.

The context that I have thought of a Paradigm Shift is one where, when one
changes the way in which a thing is made or used, the earth shifts
underneath us and the way we do things changes dramatically, and we are
carried along by a new way of doing things that is so obviously better.  The
Paradigm Shift occurs not because it is a new way of doing things, but
ultimately  because the new method  is obviously and indisputably better.
HL is a new way of doing things, yes, but it is demonstrably not better than
the old system at the most basic levels of functionality.  I’m not talking
sexy here, just nuts and bolts functionality for the things most of us need
to do all the time.  I bring up Occam’s Razor, because it does speak very
much to good interface design, things that we want to see in good software,
no matter what it is.  The fact that I can learn to use HL doesn’t mean that
it is good software, or that it is the best choice for what we want to do.
It is poorly organized , and takes too many steps for us to do things.  The
interface sucks.

I think that you preclude the possibility of a real discussion about the
problems of HL by changing the subject to its integration with the whole
package.  Call it distraction or deflection, but we never get to a real  in
depth discussion of the program back and forth with the people who are in
the position to do something about it.  And that is why so many of us have
been frustrated.

Since the National, no one has gotten back to the list to tell us what was
discussed and what was decided in Council about HL.  I had been of the
impression that the lines of communication had opened enough that the
officers and the home office finally understood that doing so was important.
My suspicion is that it was decided to let the barbarians rant, and then
just go ahead and do what you were going to do all along anyway.  I will
readily label that as mere suspicion, since no one has told us readers of
the list who were not in KC or at council what happened.

Whose responsibility is that?  What confidentialities would be violated by
sharing what went on in open council?  What was decided about HL and/or
there Forum software?

My prediction will be that time windows for improvement in HL for speed,
bugs, and interface changes will come and go.  How do you know when a
software developer is lying?  Their spokesperson’s  mouth is moving.  That’s
the industry standard.

Will