[pianotech] Horse and buggy users.

Mark Purney mark.purney at mesapiano.com
Wed Jul 20 11:16:56 MDT 2011

It has been officially announced that this list will continue to exist
and will not be shut down in favor of the new one. The subscribers have
spoken, and the message was heard loud and clear. The list will stay.
There is nothing left to discuss except piano technology. If there
actually is something more to discuss, then maybe a new list should be
set up just for that discussion so we can finally give the other 98% of
pianotech subscribers a break from seeing that poor horse continually
beaten - it's been dead for a while now, let it rest in peace.

There are some unnecessarily combative posts still landing in the
pianotech folder of my inbox. If I was a new member just joining the
list, I would be very disappointed, and I'd look at the code of ethics
printed on my card and then wonder why pianotech allows messages that
contradict the spirit of it. I've been a member of many organizations
with email lists, and few of them would allow this level of fighting to
continue without first warning, and then removing those who insist on
continuing to be disruptive to the flow of the main discussion. Feeling
passionate about something is not an excuse to be condescending or
unfriendly in language, and it's much easier to convince someone of your
perspective if you are kind to them.

Back to the Code of Ethics:

1. I will act honorably and in a professional manner.
(This should extend to communication with each other, not just our clients.)

5. I will strive to upgrade my professional skills and I will encourage
and help others to do the same.
(We should not interfere with that process by cluttering a technical
list with animosity over something that isn't even piano-related.)

7. I will promote, in any way that I can, good will toward my profession
and toward the music industry.
(Please, let's all take this to heart.)

And for those who aren't PTG members, you may not be bound by the code
of ethics, but perhaps you should consider yourselves guests who have
been graciously welcomed here. If you are not inspired to join, pay
dues, or volunteer your time to give back, at least be kind and do not
demonstrate a lack of respect toward those who have done so, even if you
believe they deserve it.

Please notice that I'm not aiming the above comments at any individuals,
but toward anyone and everyone on either side of the issue who tends to
let their strong feelings come out in inappropriate ways. I've done it,
myself, so this is aimed at me, too. But if, for some reason, you feel
this message is directed toward you, and you think I'm out of line, I
beg of you, please respond to me personally, off the list. Yes, I know
I'm a hypocrite because this very message is not related to piano
technology. But my reason for posting this is to try and encourage a
higher signal to noise ratio, and maybe more peace, understanding and
mutual respect. If we could somehow get through the rest of this week
without a single reference to Higher Logic, or how much people love or
hate it, it would go a long way toward reducing my disappointment and
frustration, and I know that I'm not the only one who feels that way. I
was surrounded by hundreds of other technicians this past week, and I
heard many comments about how tired they are of this topic, and that
they are not reading pianotech as much anymore because of it.

I do believe there is a valid need for a general discussion forum for
off-topic or non-piano-related issues. But pianotech isn't the place for
it. I also think that maybe not all of it belongs on PTG-L, either.
Perhaps it's time to consider creating an "in-between" list, or "PTG-L
Junior," so people have a place to feel comfortable discussing non-piano
issues without being disruptive, and if anything rises to the top from
those discussions, it should eventually be introduced to PTG-L. This is
just an idea, and I don't know if it's a good one or a bad one, but I'm
throwing it out there.

Thank you.