[pianotech] Leaving the list

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Wed Jul 20 13:50:27 MDT 2011

AMEN MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jer Groot

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces at ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Mark Purney
Sent: Wednesday, July 20, 2011 3:40 PM
To: pianotech at ptg.org
Subject: [pianotech] Leaving the list

I've made my almost-final plea to those insisting on continually
hijacking this list for purposes of dishing out sarcasm and ill-will
toward one another over something that has nothing to do with piano
service (see my previous post). I suppose this is my final one.

I have learned a great deal from so many by reading this list, and tried
to contribute on occasion, and I would like very much to continue doing
so. But a handful of people are ruining it (at least for me) with their
immature, selfish need to be right about one thing or another.

I would rather participate on a list with a few technical glitches than
stay on a technically flawless one where I have to scan through 25 posts
containing senseless bickering to find one about pianos. It's even sunk
to the point of arguing about how to argue, and I don't see how this is
furthering our profession, and I would be horrified if piano owners -
our clients - were to read some of what has been posted here.

This nonsense is spray-painted, vulgar graffiti on something that was
once beautiful. This list is full of hundreds of people who would go out
of their way to pick up a piece of litter if they saw it on the ground,
but there are a small handful who are trashing the place. I suppose it's
just like real life - with one exception:  In real life, there are fines
for littering and vandalism. Here, there is just a lot of disgust and
head-shaking from those who are patiently waiting for the arguing to stop.

I'm going to give it 2 more days, and if this list is still being
overrun by off-topic immaturity, I will be joining those who have
unsubscribed for similar reasons. I will come back if things get better,
but this has become too frustrating for me. This email list was once a
way for me to escape from stress and learn something. Now it's becoming
the opposite.

To those who have shared so much great information on pianotech, I
cannot thank you enough for how your knowledge has been an asset to my
development as a technician. Peace.