[pianotech] Plate screw problem ?..solution

David Renaud drjazzca at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 17:13:49 MDT 2011

Hello

   Thanks for all the input......

    The solution was to drill up from the bottom around the screw and pop it out.
Plug with hard rock mapleand start over with a good screw in a correctly sized hole.

All the junk is gone, new wood, new screw, clean.

     For anyone that did not see the thread

Broken plate screw deep in tall pilot hole through plate strut.
Can get easy out in there.
Cheap titanium bit shredded.....don't go there again.
Cobalt tipped bit burned out.
Black oxide bit worked until it snapped in the hole part way through.
Nothing is drilling that out that is readily available.

Screw was just shy of the shelf.........
Start with small hole saw, then drill material out from around screw with 90degree chuck,
Drilled material out right up the the plate, popped out the mess......plug and start over clean.

                                                      Thank You
                                                       David Renaud

Sent from my iPad