[pianotech] Chickering Grand Hammer Flanges?

Mark Purney mark.purney at mesapiano.com
Wed Jul 27 19:00:53 MDT 2011

As a pianist, I don't care what the action parts are made out of as long
as I can get the performance (consistency, speed, dynamics, control,
repetition) that I want. I've been very impressed with the M&H pianos
I've played recently with the composite actions, as well as the rebuilt
pianos I've played with WNG parts.

Sure, aluminum rails pick up and transmit unwanted noises, and aluminum
keybed supports may alter the resonance of the piano in an unpleasing
way, but what does that have to do with composite action parts? It's a
real stretch to cite those examples as justification for not liking
composite wippens and carbon fiber shanks. Those parts do not generate
or amplify unwanted noises, nor do they impact the natural frequency
response of the piano.

It would, however, be fair to say that a hammer shank's rigidity and
spring response could influence the way the hammer interfaces with the
string during impact and rebound, and this could change the tone of the
piano since the partials might be excited differently between wood
shanks and carbon fiber shanks. If you can consistently hear the
difference blindfolded and prefer one over the other, then nobody can
argue with that preference or with the reasoning behind it.

I'm just saying, it's fine if you don't like composites, but if you're
going to be negative about them, at least be fair. Personally, I'm
enthused by the developments and intend to use those parts in my own
personal pianos.