[pianotech] Chickering Grand Hammer Flanges?

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Wed Jul 27 20:04:54 MDT 2011

I don't question that these parts are more consistent in their flex response
or strength or however it's measured than wood and can see how that  may
very well make for more consistent tonal response from note to note.  The
sound comment I was responding to was something quite different.

I'm not crazy about using a CA type glue with a porous materials like wood
and do have some concerns about gluing wood to plastic and how that joint
will hold up over time.  But in principle I have no objection to the idea of
carbon fiber being used for shanks or other action parts.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com