[pianotech] Guess which pin...

Tom Driscoll tomtuner at verizon.net
Sun Jul 31 06:25:39 MDT 2011

Rob,
Many of  he Baldwin acros of the 60's -70's have chronic tight centers . My
first test is to depress the left pedal , release quickly and watch for slow
hammer return. Jacks centers can also be tight .I use the age old alc-water
shrink-sizing method and it seems to  provide a permanent fix. Give it
overnight and test. Some use a hair dryer to speed things up but I'd rather
see what the center will do on it's own. I then shoot some protek figuring
it can't hurt to slick the center up.
 I realize that not every piano will respond  ( I.E. center pin plating
problem on the Samicks)  but  with this Kimball I would give it a try. It's
easy ,cheap and will do no harm AND it might solve the problem.
 Just my take,
 Best wishes,
 Tom Driscoll----- Original Message -----