[pianotech] Guess which pin...

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Jul 31 07:50:58 MDT 2011

On 7/31/2011 7:25 AM, Tom Driscoll wrote:
> Rob,
> Many of he Baldwin acros of the 60's -70's have chronic tight centers .
> My first test is to depress the left pedal , release quickly and watch
> for slow hammer return. Jacks centers can also be tight .I use the age
> old alc-water shrink-sizing method and it seems to provide a permanent
> fix. Give it overnight and test. Some use a hair dryer to speed things
> up but I'd rather see what the center will do on it's own. I then shoot
> some protek figuring it can't hurt to slick the center up.
> I realize that not every piano will respond ( I.E. center pin plating
> problem on the Samicks) but with this Kimball I would give it a try.
> It's easy ,cheap and will do no harm AND it might solve the problem.
> Just my take,
> Best wishes,

I agree. Given the quality and worth of the piano, this is a sane
approach. Repinning the action is, I think, abusive to the owner if
shrinking will get you there. And replacing parts (the action) in
nominals like this is way way past cost prohibitive and far beyond
sensible for any of my customers. I must need dumber richer customers. <G>

Ron N