[pianotech] Variant Spring & Loop Action

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Wed Nov 9 12:16:38 MST 2011

Dagnabbit you're right: I wish I had studied the thing more thoroughly!

What I think, is this:  The let-off (or set-off) button cannot drop
down, because with the HAMMER flange in place on top of its own flange,
the heel (if you can call it that) surrounding the birdseye, cannot
rotate upwards as it is blocked against the base of the hammer flange.

In point of fact, it seems superfluous for the buttons to have flanges
with centres at all. They do not need to rotate/move.

I suppose it was perhaps simpler to manufacture centre-pinned flange
arrangements than to make an angled fixed piece for each button. Also,
with the hammer flange unscrewed and lifted out of the way, the set-off
(or let-off) button could be flipped upwards in its flange to allow for
screwing the button up or down to adjust set-off.  Cumbersome though!

I'm sending the two pics again just for ease of reference.

Best regards,

David.