[pianotech] help Please (regarding plate bushings/CA glue)

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 10 12:30:31 MST 2011

Les Bartlett asked:
"This is second attempt for a decent toooner, but limited repair-er to help
me with something I think I saw on this list in short form, but which I need
better explained. Evidently on some verticals, a, or some techs drill holes
through tuning pin bushings, down to pin block, then use super glue to send
down the hole which then gets into the pinblock. I'm inexperienced, and a
bit nervous about trying such without a bit more information about how they
accomplish it, and experienced results. Would someone who does this
please reply- off list probably good as I don't want to waste other folks'
time.
Thanks"

Les,
That was me that reported that. I use a 1/16" x 12" Aviation twist bit in a
variable speed drill. Because the bit is so long you can "bend" it a bit,
in the process of drilling, (w/o breaking it<G>However, buy at least two
bits.<G>). This set up is a bit awkward, at first, but you get used to it.
The Variable Speed Drill I use is the best I've found....ever!<G> It's a
Souix Falls, ergonomic and it's the real deal! It's only down side is it's
a corded rather than being battery operated. I wear a leather glove on my
left hand, (the one I guide the bit with), to hold the bit and get the
drill bit started in the bushing with "slow" speed and then up the speed
just a bit. You should be able to feel the bit exit the other side of the
bushing, as there's usually a gap between the under side of the webbing,
(Plate), and the top of the pin block material. Even if you go a bit
deeper, it's not going to hurt anything imo. I get the bit started on the
outer edge of the bushing. Since you are forced to drill at a slight angle
this will assure you, (hopefully), that you are drilling only the bushing.
After I've done the drilling, I try to get as much of the sawdust out of
the holes and tuning pin field. I use a crevice tool with a MickeyDee's
straw taped over the tip. This will allow you to get right down over the
drilled holes and suck that stuff up. Make sure you are using a H.D.
Vacuum, because some cheapie vacuums do not like a severely restricted
situation. (DAMHIK!!)
Once the holes are clean, I load up a Veterinary Syringe w/a blunt needle,
(one that will go INTO the drilled hole), with CA, Super Thin and proceed
to saturate that sucker. So far, I've had very good success with this
procedure. Yes, it takes a bunch of time and it's a bit trying on the bod,
but that's why we get the big bucks. And, it's a whole lot less time than
disassembly and replacement of a pinblock in a marginal piano.<G>
I always have a conversation with the client about the possibility of
failure of this procedure, and the possibility of the need/cost to replace
a pin block. (Yes, I have had a failure on a VERY crappy piano! I suspect
the pinblock material was Balsa Wood!<G>) So far, however, I've had good,
LONG TERM success. Many happy clients because of it.<G>
Hope that helps,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police