[pianotech] Business Definition

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Fri Nov 11 07:00:23 MST 2011

I have been thinking some more about the tax matter.

Wim, you say
> On the other hand, here in Hawaii I have to collect sales tax on all
> transactions, including public schools and churches, (and then pay it
> to the state). Because of that I have to have a business license, but
> only to collect and pay the taxes, not to be in business.

That seems fair enough. In the UK there is a kind of sales tax called
Value Added Tax, but small businesses whose turnover is below a certain
amount, do not need to be concerned with it. Larger businesses have to
be VAT Registered, and collect the tax on goods and services, and pay it
to the government.

In Rick's case, there seem to be two issues he is facing:

> List, my municipal office in town just told me I need to get a contractors license to do business in the city.
> They also consider me to be violating zoning laws by operating a business in a residential zone.
The first issue is the matter of needing a Contractors License.  There
must be some ordinaces or statutes written down that give the definition
of Contractor and that specify who must obtain a license as one.  It is
surely the right of the Citizen to be able to examine the
statutes/ordinances for himself, and to be able to make an Appeal if he
thinks that a city official is applying them incorrectly.

In a broader view, is it legal for a  city to empose an additional tax
on the self-employed?

It is a long-established principle in US law - taken enough times to the
Supreme Court - that a State or other local authority, may not impose a
tax on a freedom that is guaranteed to the citizen by the Constitution
of the United States. Thus if, for example, you have political views and
you wish to distribute pamphlets in your neighborhood at election time,
or you put out leaflets advertising church services, a State or City
cannot require you to obtain a license for doing so, because those
freedoms of expression are enshrined in the US Constitution, and no City
or State may tax them.  I don't know how this would apply in respect of
an extra tax on a self-employed person, however.  Expert legal advice is
needed, I guess!

On the second matter, of zoning:
The question here, it seemeth to me, is What constitutes a Business
Premises.
Of course it is sensible that a residential district should be
protected. Thus if an employed hairdresser, for example, were to leave
the shop where he or she works, and decide to set up a self-employed
business, it is understandable that the City would take a dim view of
building a large extension with shop window and doors to the front of
the house and putting up an illuminated shop sign.  That is a matter of
protecting the residential status of an area.  But if the service the
haridresser wanted to provide, was entirely a mobile one, visiting
housebound clients in their homes, surely the hairdreser's home is not
becoming a business premises?

Or, imagine a college professor whose 5-year employed Tenure comes to an
end. The college says, We would still like you to teach classes for us,
but on a self-employed basis. We will pay you a small Retaining Fee to
keep you available to us for a year, but you must invoice us for your
work, on a consultancy basis, and your taxes will not be deducted at
source - you will be self-employed and must do your own taxes.  What has
changed regarding his home? It is now the home of a self-employed
person, that is all. He makes out his invoices and does his
book-keeping, at his desk at work, outside of hours.  How has his home
become a business premises? Surely it has not!

Unless you argue that in order to carry on a business, you need enough
sleep, and since your home is where you sleep, it is integral to your
business. But that is silly!

Best regards,

David.