[pianotech] Spit foam on Tuning Pins

James Sasso jwsasso at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 15:31:39 MDT 2012

Hi List;
I tune regularly for a school system. The grand piano in the auditorium was
not holding up to pitch so I applied CA glue to all but the high treble. As
usual, it worked like a charm. However, spit-like foam surrounded the
tuning pins, in some cases well past the coils and toward the top of the
pins. In addition, the nickel plated pins turned a rust color. I've done
many CA glue jobs to tuning pins and have had minor foaming but never
anything like this nor any pin discoloration. Could some solution have been
on the pins/pinblock before the application? Any ideas or similar
experiences? Thanks.
Jim Sasso
Atlantic Player Piano