[pianotech] Belly talk

Dale Erwin erwinspiano at aol.com
Sat Dec 1 08:36:41 MST 2012

 At some point my eyes kind of glaze over with splittin hairs on certain things and this is one. So I see it this way thru my smoke and mirrors.
The inner rim has an approx 1 1/2 degree bevel cut into the inner rim at the factory. Set a straight edge on it & it becomes apparent.
  We have a soundboard, be it rib crowned or other wise crowned. I don't care. It is dome shaped. So it has an angle at the edges. or...said another way...It is not flat.  It rises in elevation from the edge to the highest point in the board. So whats wrong with having an approximation of that angle cut into the inner rim which will match the rise in elevation of the board in some approximation.
Not a damn thing and not everyone in a factory who ever designed a piano their way is an idiot Ron.

For what its worth I have glued in several boards to inner rims that were cut flat and it does indeed flatten out the board a little. I'd prefer that not to happen. Do I cut the rim trying to match some idealized rise in elevation. No. A waste of time.  But to be sure.... No one would want the inner rim to be beveled in the opposite direction. Would they?
jeez
Dale

Dale Erwin R.P.T.
Erwin's Piano Restoration Inc.