[pianotech] Belly talk

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Dec 1 09:00:47 MST 2012

On 12/1/2012 9:36 AM, Dale Erwin wrote:
>So whats wrong with having
> an approximation of that angle cut into the inner rim which will match
> the rise in elevation of the board in some approximation.
> Not a damn thing

Right, not a damn thing. I certainly didn't disagree with that, and won't.

>and not everyone in a factory who ever designed a piano
> their way is an idiot Ron.

Nor did I say anything anywhere near this - again. When I get this
reaction from pointing out logical contradictions, I wonder if I have
anything at all to offer here, or if anyone even cares.

> Do I cut the rim trying to match some
> idealized rise in elevation. No. A waste of time.

THAT was the question, and my point. It's easy to sit around belching
and scratching (which feels good, incidentally), and speculating on the
necessity of having these angles match to minimize the stress in the
panel, when the fact is that no one goes to the trouble to make an
honest attempt to do so, and not doing so doesn't seem to ruin pianos.
That's my point. Why not look at these things realistically instead of
all this preaching about conditions it's not possible to meet, and no
one bothers with?

>But to be sure.... No
> one would want the inner rim to be beveled in the opposite direction.
> Would they?
> jeez

Unless you put the casters on the lid.

Jeez is right.