[pianotech] OT: Grammar

paul bruesch paul at bruesch.net
Tue Dec 4 08:35:57 MST 2012

I've just been musing with a friend about grammar when I made a rather
humorous (to me, anyhow) discovery...

How often do people call or email and say that their piano needs to be
tuned badly?  It's grammatically more accurate to say that it badly needs
to be tuned. I thought I could play the grammar cop and suggest that they
don't want me to tune it badly... much more likely they want me to tune it
well. But then there's the implication of tuning a well temperament, so
maybe they want me to tune it equal. Or equally well, which of course is a
contradiction... at least in our world. Sigh...

Disclaimer: I'm aware that this post is not in 100% compliance with grammar
rules. Casual liberties have been taken.

Paul Bruesch
Stillwater, MN