[pianotech] Belly Talk

Jim Ialeggio jim at grandpianosolutions.com
Tue Dec 4 20:00:23 MST 2012

This rim glue ledge trimming rig worked pretty well, so I figured I'd
post it, even though I know many of you aren't interested in messing
with the glue ledge.  I offer it as shop ammunition for whatever use may
come along sometime.

Its simply two stable 6' beams, and a plywood box. The beams have been
jointed and planed so there are at 2 parallel sides. THe beams index off
the rim top edge, and also serve as the index for the top of the offset
router plywood box to hang from.

The router bit is the crux of the setup, as it cuts the entire ledge, up
to the outer rim, so there is 0" to maybe 1/16" left of the glue ledge
to remove with a knife or chisel.  The bit is a weatherstripping kerfing
bit, with no shank protruding past the cutter.
http://www.conservationtechnology.com/building_weatherseals.html (Their
website doesn't show the bit, so you'd need to call)

Since the offset trim router does not adjust to different cutting
depths, I put 2 or 3 layers of 1/16" poster board under the beams at the
the cutting side, and removed the poster board sheets one-at-a-time to
achieve the finished set depth of cut. I was trying to go easy on the
machine since offset routers are not designed to take serious bites of
anything.

It took a little getting used to, trying to make sure I wasn't
deflecting the part of the box that the router sits on. A little
creative shimming here and there though, and it worked out nicely...just
a little hand work to finish up.

Jim Ialeggio

--
Jim Ialeggio