[pianotech] Kimball Spinet with HEAVY Sponge Action

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Dec 5 20:08:18 MST 2012

I checked damper springs - seem Goldilocks fine - not too stiff and not too weak. Unless I get any other bright ideas, I think I'm gonna recommend to the owner that if they want me to look into it I will try one or two sample keys and chip off the hard rubber nut, inspect the balance holes and install a new rubber nut. We'll see if either/both of those items are causing the problem. And of course, when I have the drop sticker disengaged from the key, then I can much more closely check the rest of the action items.

Thanks Barbara, Jon, Phil & Dean.

I really wonder if it couldn't be the balance holes. That's the exact feeling it has - something binding in there. It feels exactly like several keys on a little spinet I tuned a few weeks ago - and of course, being that it was just a few keys, I knew something had to have fallen down in there - took quite a bit of looking but finally found the Bic pen right up against the backside of the let-off button rail - really quite well hidden from view. Unfortunately, I've never seen a four-foot-long pen though........

Peek-a-boo!

Terry Farrell