[pianotech] Kimball Spinet with HEAVY Sponge Action

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Wed Dec 5 20:57:17 MST 2012

Terry

Something just occurred to me about the Kimball. Have you looked under the keys, yet? Here in Hawaii we have carpenter ants. They like to build a nest under keys, and their nesting material is a thick black goo, which is very hard to scrape off. I've had several instances where they keys felt spongy, like what you describe, to find that the keys were stuck to the balance rail and punchings by this black tarry substance. I had a very hard time even dislodging some of the keys. If this is the case, take a chisel with you to scrape of the goo and all the any carcasses that come with it. You cannot vacuum this stuff up.

Good luck.

Wim