[pianotech] Kimball Spinet with HEAVY Sponge Action

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Wed Dec 5 21:25:40 MST 2012

 >...I really wonder if it couldn't be the balance holes.

Take a piece of wire ( I use a sawed-off bass string, the windings are a
handle ) and insert it along the pin to bottom out. Hold your thumb nail
against the wire at the key top and place the wire alongside the key to
measure the depth of the mortice. Sometimes a false high is measured due
to a tight fit at the bottom of the mortice.  A balance hole reamer is
used to reduce the height. A fast way to do a set is to place the reamer
in a drill. Place keys, two at a time, on a piece of metal to act as a
stop for the reamer tip. Doing each one by hand would take a long time.
I have a jig for this though which is better suited for easing the holes
by hand.

--
Regards,

Jon Page