[pianotech] Protection from underfloor heating

Jim Ialeggio jim at grandpianosolutions.com
Wed Dec 12 08:26:23 MST 2012

Joseph Giandalone wrote:

<Now, Why is it that in my long term observation here in mid-New
England, pianos in underfloor-heated homes have the most extreme
symptoms of seasonal humidity variation?

Ok...Lets get some info. How old are these ranch houses? How drafty are
they, ie how much exterior air is brought in, heated, then "exhaled", as
new cold, bone dry NE air is brought in?  Are the homes older
inexpensive construction? Your observations seem to be targeting a
particular subset of home construction, slab-on-grade. So I'd like to
confirm the specifics of what the moisture sources are before drawing
any large brush conclusions.

In addition, your post refers to seasonal fluctuation. So I'd like to
focus on that. Would you specify what you mean by this. To me "seasonal
fluctuation" means a 1 time change at the beginning or end of the
heating season. Is that what you mean, or do you mean instability during
the entire heating season?

Most of the slab-on-grade ranches in MA that I am familiar with are
bottom of the line entry homes, with older, inexpensive construction.
These slab-on-grade homes are generally older, cheap construction, with
no moisture barrier between grade and slab, and no insulation at the
perimeter of the slab. A slab with no moisture barrier is very often
creating a very moist slab in summer. This slab adds a huge amount of
moisture to the building interior during the summer, AC or not, even if
there is no apparent wetness on the slab. The most recent building codes
are very picky about slab insulation and moisture barriers these days,
so I would differentiate between older and newer construction.

Moist summer slab conditions, in addition to normal summer high RH%,
means the swing to heating season has to first cook out that moisture
from the slab. That cooked moisture has to go somewhere, and the
interior of the home presents the path of least resistance...so it goes
to the interior. This most likely creates an RH spike at the beginning
of the heat season, followed by a significant RH decrease while the slab
is in heating mode. In addition, in a drafty building, the decrease in
RH will continue to aggressively drop of a high air change rate.

So are you referring to a single fluctuation at the beinning and/or end
of the heating season, on general instability during the heating season?

Jim Ialeggio

Jim Ialeggio
jim at grandpianosolutions.com
978 425-9026