[pianotech] scheduling

Tom Driscoll tomtuner at verizon.net
Sun Dec 16 16:47:00 MST 2012

Marshall , I just read your post more carefully.

Marshall wrote <   I thnk if I didn't stop and eat lunch with the first customer and his wife I still would have been delayed. >

 I have certainly developed friendships and social relationships with many of my clients but on a first time call the polite answer to the lunch invitation is

"That's very gracious of you but no thank you. Perhaps a glass of water would be nice."

You are there to service the piano not socialize.

So from my perspective if you declined lunch , whipped the thing up to pitch then made a second pass ,eased keys and maybe adjusted the sustain you could  have stayed on schedule or at least been able to call client #2 and move the appt 30 minutes later.

My explaination to client # 1 would be that the next tuning will be more stable and we can address some other regular maintenence issues .
 Short and sweet ---We're talking a Whitney here.

You collect a higher fee for the extra work on client one and maintain your projected income stream for the rest of the day.

End of lecture.
 Tom D.