[pianotech] How to analyze an existing tuning

Mark Davis t/a PianoForte Technologies pianofortetechnology at saol.com
Thu Dec 20 03:49:03 MST 2012

Ron, Steve Brady,RPT, wrote that when touching up a tuning, he listens to
the sound of all three strings to evaluate the octave.  If he finds only one
string of the unison needs to be corrected, he only tunes/corrects that
string.  He goes on to say, "It works because I assume that two or more
strings on each note are already right, rather than assuming that I'm going
to need to tune each and every string."  Now, I would assume that Steve very
well may test the final product/tuning by giving hard blows or pushing
against the string with a hammer shank or...I don't know all the tricks, but
surely he is someone who would not allow unisons to go out of tune in a
concert.
Thanks, Mark