[pianotech] Samick customer service

Rob McCall rob at mccallpiano.com
Thu Dec 20 20:43:24 MST 2012

Joseph,

This is the approach I've been taking.  This piano first came to me about 18 months ago.  It had severe beach cancer and I restrung the piano along with new tuning pins. I also worked with Samick and they sent me all the hardware - hinges, wheels, rosettes, pedal rods, pedals, etc.  Anything that was metal and corroded got replaced.

At that point Jane told me that this piano may be part of the recall for center pins that bind.  It wasn't a problem until about 6 months ago when I had 1 damper that was hanging up.  I thought it was related to the corrosion on the damper wires (which I thoroughly removed), but it wasn't.  About 3 weeks ago, after the client complained that now instead of just one, it's about 8 dampers that are hanging up, I pulled the action and checked the flanges and sure enough, they stay up by themselves without any other influence. It seemed a pretty obvious conclusion. So I called Samick...

Seeing as this is the same piano that Samick had already told me should be covered under warranty, I told the client that this was one of the problems I had previously discussed with them and it should be a warranty issue.  I scheduled an appointment 3 weeks out (tomorrow) figuring I'd have it all set up by then.

I called again this morning.  The secretary said that the appropriate person was in and that she would personally go back and put a sticky note on her computer screen so that she would know to call.  Today I had the same result as all the others... nothing...  :-/

It befuddles the imagination as to how a business can be run when you have no contact with your clients or professionals who may sell pianos or maintain them.

Regards,

Rob McCall

McCall Piano Service, LLC
www.mccallpiano.com