[pianotech] was GH-1s

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Dec 21 09:05:44 MST 2012

On 12/21/2012 8:49 AM, Jim Ialeggio wrote:

> I've been following David's and Ron's exchange with interest.  While I
> already had a good idea of Ron's design approach, I have a better way of
> putting David's approach in a clearer context.

I've been trying for some time to determine what David's approach is,
with no luck. His general intent is certainly stated at great length at
every opportunity, with a number of often repeated details on the
deficiencies in what I do, but I haven't been able to get any
understandable methodology from him.

> I for one, explore Ron's side of the RC&S design spectrum very
> specifically because of the the way it tends to sound. I love the sounds
> I hear form these instruments . To my ear the sound quality is different
> than any piano sound in the current mass marketplace, save for a very
> few ultra high end instruments.

Me too, which is why I do what I do. The automatic condemnation of what
I do is what baffles me, whether the complainer has heard my instruments
or not. The very idea seems to terrify them, and I don't know why. It
makes no sense to me. Perhaps the fact that I've outlined on the list
right out in public for everyone to read what I do without the Voodoo
mystique and pretense of dark secret methods blows their cover. I don't
really know and haven't been able to find out in spite of repeated tries.

In any case, my attempts to talk engineering and design, even with
trained engineers, is not met with anything like engineering, but rather
with implications of tonal sacrilege on my part against some undefined
standard that tends to center around what they do - whatever that is.
Again, it makes no sense to me, and no one learns anything at all.

Ron N