[pianotech] The Heated Floor and the Birdcage

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Fri Dec 21 15:03:12 MST 2012

So anyway,

Today I went back to the old overdamper piano in the house with in-floor
heating (on which, thanks for everyone's comments; very helpful).  At
the beginning of November I had spent some time getting the action
working, and achieving some semblance of a tuning, after forty years of
neglet and no tuning, latterly in a damp moldering unoccupied house.

The owner had said in an email that after that first session, it quite
quickly went out of tune by a semitone at the ends.  In point of fact,
when I went back today, I found that it had not done that at all.  What
I think had happened was a psychological effect.  Last time, when I
finished tuning and played a tune, the guy was quite moved and couldn't
speak for a moment, because this was a piano from his boyhood holidays
in his great-aunt's house, and it had not been tuned or played for
decades. SO, I think the emotional effect, was to make him think it
sounded better than it actually did. When that emotional effect wore
off, he perceived the piano as having dropped.  That's my theory anyway,
a 'psycho-acoustic' effect.

I found in fact that, while the unisons had certainly gone a bit fruity,
there was no large overall change, and no section that had markedly
dropped.  So today I did a proper pitch raise. I thought to aim for
A440, and the tenor and treble would have taken it, but I immediately
perceived when I started on the covered strings, that it was too risky;
there was that feeling of "tautness" and the first bichord string
broke.  Thin-looking core wire too. Reflecting that the piano may well
have been made for A435, that's what I opted for, and the piano went
there quite happily (Proceeding with due caution and due Protek CLP on
rusty bearing points).

Time will tell as to how the tuning lasts, but the (obling dammit) pins
were quite tight.  I did however rebel at the overdamper rail
overlapping half a dozen tuning pins, and filed grooves with a rasp I
took for that purpose.  This piano cannot ever have had those notes
adequately tuned in its life, for I doubt if any tuiner ever took off
the overdaper rail and strip muted, and using the tuning lever tip to
lever the rail down makes it impossible to set the pin properly.  What I
did admittedly wasn't pretty, but it worked.

The overdamper action has jacks with no heels. As on the last visit, I
had to replace one of the springs, a previous replacement that wasn't
working.

Some pics attached.

Best regards,

David.