[pianotech] Teflon accused again

Barrie Heaton piano at a440.co.uk
Thu Dec 27 07:18:43 MST 2012

In message <5066C5D6-4E0F-431D-AF41-6013E3025A07 at gmail.com>, Andrew
Anderson <anrebe at gmail.com> writes
>It would be factual to point out that the damage was caused by
>individual components utilized in the manufacturing process.  Teflon
>itself, is inert at temperatures below 500F.  I'd suggest putting space
>between yourself and any piano that is over 150F in temperature
>regardless of possibility of the use of teflon in servicing it. ;-)

Unless you are smoking wile using Teflon or have a naked flame near by
as the Teflon we use is very light and stays in the air.  The end of a
lit cigarette is 400 deg C (or 752 deg F) and higher when drawing. Wile
those who do smoke should not in the clients home, they may smoke in
their own workshop. They  should take care as smoking is bad without
adding Teflon.

All the best for  2013

Kind regards

Barrie