[pianotech] Taking pot shots

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Dec 22 11:12:27 MST 2012

On 12/22/2012 11:28 AM, Joseph Garrett wrote:

> Ron,
> Now there's some "letters" I can deal with.<G>
> Seriously, though, please tell me why you put forth the effort to put those
> three letters after your name?

Joe,
You'll not find an instance, anywhere, where I put those three letters
after my name. Others have, but I don't and never have. Yes, I'm an RPT,
but I don't consider that worth an ounce of credibility as I've never
been able to correlate those three letters with knowledge, competence or
even sanity as a number of conversations on this list should indicate. I
went to the trouble to become an RPT as an indication of the intent that
I was and am serious about learning something. The letters mean nothing.

>I'm curious. I know, you don't bother to use
> them in your "signature", and that's fine, for you, since everyone knows
> who and what you are and about.<G>

There's plenty of indication that this isn't the case, daily.

> (A dedicated craftsman with little
> tolerance for fools.<G> Takes one to know one.<G>)
> Personally, I did it, so that I would be recognized by my peers, not to be
> high-falutin', hoity toity.

If my peers aren't smart enough to judge me on merit without those three
letters, they aren't my peers and I want nothing to do with them.

I remember how horrified I was when I first became an RPT (Craftsman, at
the time) and people who just the year before pretended I was invisible
were suddenly chummy. Not all of them, but enough. It made me wonder if
I shouldn't have gotten a secret code ring, lip tattoo, and special gang
sign and handshake and someone forgot to tell me. I had hoped that
members of a professional organization weren't that shallow and petty,
but people are people whatever they pretend to be. So if I had to go
back and start over, I'd still work for the RPT for the same reason I
did the first time, but would be less disturbed or concerned by the
reaction of some of the existing RPTs.

Ron N