[pianotech] Soundboard repair

Roger@Integra.net rgable at integra.net
Sun Dec 23 18:43:24 MST 2012

Chuck,
I’m stepping out of my comfort zone to respond to your post – a post that may mislead new technicians who may be inclined to venture down the paths of restoring 100 year old pianos. By simply filling the cracks with shims and performing a static gluing of the panels to the ribs, your chances of restoring a 100 year old soundboard to it’s original impedance character are little to none.Your comment about a 1000% more “vibrant” is misleading. The stopgap repair certainly restored unity to the soundboard, but after that, a piano with that much deterioration would have little to no tension remaining within its composite structure. It defies the physics within the soundboard to believe that a massive gluing of that nature restores any rib-to-panel tension; tension that is necessary to the characteristics we associate with good piano tone.

When I was young and felt I knew everything about the make-up of the piano I ventured into a massive static soundboard re-gluing job where every rib along 75% of its length was detached from the panels. The end result was a disaster. It was like listening to a ballpein hammer striking against a cast iron frying pan – all attack and no decay. I would urge technicians to seriously weigh the restoration investment to the end result before engaging in such a massive reconditioning. A good new upright piano can be had for $6,000 to $7,000, and it would have a new bridge, a new pinblock with 2/0 tuning pins, and an entirely new action, plus much more. Is it worth our reputation to encourage our clients to invest in a 100 year old piano with that level of restoration liability?
Roger Gable